Zymewire is offering an exciting paid opportunity to an ambitious 3rd or 4th year Computer Science student with a co-op requirement for their degree. This is a full-time position (40 hrs/week) beginning in January 2021 for an 8 or 12 month period, depending on the requirements of your school's program.
We’re a Toronto-based SaaS startup that has built game-changing technology to help sales teams accelerate revenue growth. Today we’re focused on the life sciences space, but tomorrow we envision becoming the de facto service that sales professionals across all industries rely on to help them make the most informed decisions, take the most immediate action and be the most awesome at their unique jobs.
We carry out our mission through (1) keeping our customers at the heart of everything we do (2) maintaining an unrelenting curiosity about their challenges and workflows (3) constantly innovating (4) learning from each other, supporting each other and having fun while doing it.
Unlike VC-run companies out there, we've built our bootstrapped business on pure customer investment. Today more than 300 pharmaceutical and biotechnology service providers around the world trust Zymewire for their sales research. Our users are located in over 50 countries around the world and their companies range in size from start-ups to billion-dollar multinationals.
Zymewire is a proud graduate of the Creative Destruction Lab (CDL)'s Artificial Intelligence stream at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management.
About the co-op position:
In addition to learning the ropes of our customer-facing Rails application, you’ll gain experience in agile development practices and will be a valued member of our fast-paced and growing technology startup. If you're interested in practical usages of machine learning, and how they can be applied to the biotechnology business domain, then a co-op with Zymewire will present a dynamic and engaging challenge.
Responsibilities will be tailored to your experience level, but will broadly include:
- Mentoring and collaboration with the engineering team to create innovative solutions to challenging problems
- Maintaining the data infrastructure used by the Zymewire product
- Ensuring the appropriate degree of rigour in testing is maintained
- As new problems are identified, investigating new technological approaches, then propose pragmatic solutions that will scale to the requirements of the business
Our tech stack includes (but is not limited to):
- Ruby on Rails
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- NoSQL (MongoDB)
You’ll develop skills in the following areas:
- Web app development
- Software best practices
- Knowledge of biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry
- Machine learning/deep learning
- Data mining, web crawling
- Agile development
- You’re enrolled in your 3rd or 4th year of a Computer Science program at a Canadian post-secondary institution
- You’re detail-oriented, so you’ll notice we asked you to mention R2D2 in your cover letter
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or other MVC frameworks is a bonus
- You’re willing to make a commitment of a minimum of 8 months, either as one consecutive 8 month term or two 4 month terms
- You thrive as part of a team, but you’re also comfortable with self-directed learning
- You love solving interesting challenges
About the perks
- Earn $24 - $28 per hour (working from 9AM-5PM, Mon-Fri)
- Be considered for a permanent full-time position upon graduation
- Learn from a close-knit, experienced team with skills in machine learning, development, business, and organizational culture
- Work from our laid-back office (located in Toronto's Junction Triangle), and remotely when necessary.
- Enjoy regular team events
- Experience life as part of a growing and profitable Canadian tech company
Testimonials from previous interns and co-op students:
“Working at Zymewire, one of the most common themes I picked up early on was the importance placed on learning; you see it in everything. From the first week onwards, I felt as though I was a valuable and contributing member to the team.”
“I don’t want to over-hype Zymewire, but taking an internship here was, without question, the best career decision I ever made.”
“Overall, my experience interning with Zymewire not only helped me kick-start my career and learn new skills, but also gave me the chance to work with a very positive and motivational group of people.”
“The culture and environment here is simply incredible. From the pool parties and outdoor trips, to the super friendly pets in the office and team lunches, it can be easy to forget how quickly time flies. tl;dr: Smash that Apply button!”
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume below. We can't wait to meet you!