Zymewire is growing rapidly, and we’re searching for our first-ever Operational CFO to join us for the journey.
That’s right: A unique combination of finance and operations wrapped into one awesome role. Keep reading if you’re someone that likes digging into numbers but also wants to play a part in the strategy, legal, compliance, and operational dimensions of a scaling SaaS business.
All about Zymewire:
Zymewire is a Canadian SaaS company that has built game-changing technology to help sales and marketing teams accelerate revenue growth. Today we’re leaders in the life sciences space, but tomorrow we envision becoming the de facto service that sales professionals across all industries rely on to help them make the most informed decisions, take the most immediate action and be the most awesome at their unique jobs.
We carry out our mission through (1) keeping our customers at the heart of everything we do (2) maintaining an unrelenting curiosity about their challenges and work flows (3) constantly innovating (4) learning from each other, supporting each other and having fun while doing it. We’re currently a distributed team of 40 (you’d be lucky Zymer #41!), scattered across Canada, the UK, and South America.
Today more than 250 pharmaceutical and biotechnology service providers around the world trust Zymewire for their sales research. Our users are located in over 50 countries around the world and their companies range in size from start-ups to billion-dollar multinationals.
What the role looks like:
As Operational CFO at Zymewire, you’ll be a key member of the Senior Leadership team, reporting directly to the CEO. You'll be responsible for implementing and supporting the financial and operational systems that will drive extensive and sustainable growth.
The Financial part of your role will be your primary focus until you've built and automated processes that will free up more time for the second part of your role--Company Operations and Administration. You’ll be providing crucial support to the CEO in the areas of forward work planning, compliance, legal, strategic financial management, budgetary analysis, and reporting. This part of your role will be where your excellent people skills, business acumen and exemplary work ethics shine.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Financial and Accounting Management: Overseeing the work of the finance function to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements (including financial statements and tax returns), accuracy and reliability of financial information, and the overall management of the company's funding and expenditure
- The setup and continued improvement of accounting systems and processes
- Preparation and maintenance of budgets to heads of departments
- Undertaking the management of assets, providing financial statement analysis to the Board and the CEO
- Continuously seeking to improve resource utilization
- Operations Management and Interface for Legal Matters: Managing assets and assisting with operations management. Implementing the right balance of process and reporting structure
- Reviewing contracts and liaising with legal counsel
- Managing accounting and operations functions You’ll assisting them in tackling problems, defining goals and supporting their career growth
- Participating in corporate development activities (investments, acquisitions, alliances etc.)
- Managing relationships with key partners/vendors
- Building out structure and processes for the growth of the finance and operations team
- Being an active participant in the Leadership Team’s efforts to promote an organizational culture of collaboration, open and frequent communication, and celebration of success
Who will be successful in this role?
Zymewire’s Operational CFO will be a trusted strategic business partner to the CEO. That’s why it’s essential that this person is:
- Someone with a unique combination of experience with the financial side of SaaS, and an interest in the operational workings of a growing company
- Able to create, manage, interpret, and present financial analysis, forecasting and resource management with a continual drive for automation and dashboards
- A person with excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills (verbal and written)
- An experienced people manager with experience mentoring and motivating others
- A detail-oriented person (so you’ll notice that we’d like you to please mention ‘Johnny 5’ in your cover letter)
- Familiar with legal language in all types of business contracts and risk assessment
- Someone who has high competency in strategic planning No stranger to data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- A decision-maker and problem-solver
- A person who has road-tested skill sets to maintain efficient and effective financial and operating systems and processes, high service levels and accountability across core functions
What we’d love to see in your work history:
- Prior startup or scale-up experience that gave you perspective on growing from 10-50 person organization to 200 or more people
- A university degree in Finance, Accounting or another other discipline relevant to the position. Post graduate degree is an asset
- CPA, CMA, or CA designation
- 5 years experience in similar role and responsibilities
- At least 2 years experience in a finance role at a SAAS company
- Experience managing and running a P&L
- Proven track record of increasing company revenue year over year
Why Zymewire? Fancy perks etc.
- Help shape the future of a bootstrapped and profitable Canadian tech company
- Earn yourself some equity (employee options make up 20% of the value of the company at all times)
- Be a part of a tightly-knit team with a thriving culture
- If the successful candidate is based in the GTA, she/he/they can choose to enjoy the flexibility of working from home 2 days/week (we all work from home on Mondays and Wednesdays). Otherwise our CFO/COO will work remotely 100% of the time
- Three weeks paid vacation plus all statutory holidays. Unlimited unpaid vacation days.
- Join us for our annual all-company retreat when we reach our goals (past destinations include Bermuda, Iceland, and Costa Rica)
- Earn additional paid vacation days with continued learning ($1000 annual stipend for courses and classes )
- Attend optional weekly social events
- Enjoy quarterly in-person visits with the complete Zymewire team (all travel expenses paid)
- Take part in our Employee Giving Program (you choose the causes and the company provides the funds)
- Basic and extended health and dental benefits
- Paid and topped-up maternal and parental leave
Those from the Toronto area will work in-office 3 days per week. For candidates outside of the GTA, this will be a remote position.
The target start date for this role is October 12, 2021, but can be adjusted based on the availability of the successful candidate.
Already picturing your first day as our Operational CFO?! Apply now with your cover letter and resume! We look forward to hearing from you.
Zymewire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.